Please click on photos for more detailed information,
Pine Grove Chapel April 30, 1907
Henry Bussard, the founder of Mount Airy, conceived the idea for a church for the new community. Largely through his initiative, efforts, and funding, the original building was erected. Small and without convenience, this church met the needs of local pioneer residents for upwards of a century. Henry Bussard and Eliza Bussard, his wife, gave the land upon which Pine Grove Chapel was built in 1846 for the purpose of building a Presbyterian Church to be known as Ridge Presbyterian Church. Work was started on September 4, 1846. There is record showing that the cornerstone was laid on the 29th day of September 1846 although the deed was not recorded until January 8, 1849. One of Mr. Bussard’s old ledgers covering this period, still in good state of preservation, shows a detailed list of materials, costs, and labor together with the amounts donated. The total cost of the original building according to his figures was $1,765.96¾. The reason for the fraction of a cent seems to have been that nails at the time cost 6¼¢ per pound. The first pastor was Reverend Garland Hamner, D.D. He was followed by Dr. Dunning and Reverend Evans.
Pine Grove Chapel - 1980
During the Civil War troops from Company K of the Fourteenth New Jersey Volunteer Regiment were sent here to guard the railroad, the chief means of transporting men and supplies from the North to the Armies concentrated South of the Potomac River. The church was the only available building for barrack use. So, services were discontinued to afford the soldiers sleeping quarters. The cook tent was located to the right of the basement door about where the first burial lots are now. The rations were pork and beans cooked in a large kettle over an open fire. This delicacy, supplemented by hard-tack, was served to the soldiers three times a day by their Negro cook, Jeff, brought from New Jersey by the troops.
Pine Grove Chapel - 1980
Pine Gove Chapel 1994 Postcard
Pine Grove Chapel looking to front
Pine Grove Chapel altar
Pine Grove Chapel view from pulpit
Pine Grove Chapel 10 Jan 2021
Flat Iron Building ~1905
Byron Dorsey at Flat Iron Bldg - abt 1920
Flat Iron Building 1958
Flat Iron Bldg Park & Main - 1990s
Twin arch construction around 1900
Since 1837, trains passing over Parr's Ridge passed over the relatively steep grade through Mount Airy. In the late 1800s, the B&O Railroad set out to lower this grade. The new right-of-way included construction of the Twin Arch Viaduct and the Ridgeville Tunnel. When completed in 1902, the Parr's Ridge grade was cut down from 1.6 to 0.85 and the trip over Parr's Ridge was shortened by 1.6 miles. The new route passed and still passes under Ridgeville.