Please click on photos for more detailed information.
Main Street looking South after the fire of 1903
In this photo you are looking South from the B&O Railroad tracks. From Right to Left: Hoods Warehouse Dock; L.B. Norwood’s Residence; Walter Rudy’s Drug Store and Post Office; Byron Dorsey’s Farming Implement’s Store; Calvin Gilbert’s Hotel. In the far distance at the intersection of Park Avenue is W.E.T. Smith’s Harness Shop. Note: In this photograph, there were no buildings on the east side of Main Street between the tracks and Park Avenue.
Main Street at RR Tracks prior to 1903
South Main Street looking South circa 1900
You are looking at the George Clay's Creamery, later the location of the Mount AIr Dairy. Just behind and to the right of this residence is South Main Street. The old Calvary Methodist Church is in the upper left corner of the photograph.
South Main Street looking to the west
The Clay & Clary Grocery Store and Adam Ruland’s Bakery shared this building located just to the left of Simpson’s Hotel. The great fire of 1903 was caused by a defective stove flue in this building. Klee’s Harness Shop is the building on the left, just behind Ruland’s horse-drawn wagon.
Main St Rebuilt after the 1903 Fire
South Main St Looking North circa 1904
In the left center of this photograph is the Mount Airy Hotel. just to the south of it 9toward you0 is a large empty lot. The buidings here were destroyed by a fire on September 17, 1904.
Main Street South Looking North circa 1904
In this photograph taken later in 1904, two new buildings have been completed on the south side of the Mount Airy Hotel.
Main St North of RR Tracks 1910
Main Street North of RR Tracks - 1914
This photo taken around 1913. It shows N. Main Street looking north from the railroad tracks: On the east side of the street (right side) above the mule train is in front of the Mt. Airy Lumber and Grain company office, which was damaged, but survived the fire of 1914; the the north of it, are the Mt. Airy Piedmont Guano Company; and E.M. Molesworth & Sons Furniture Store (later Rudy & Burdette’s Furniture Store). All were destroyed in the great fire of 1925. On the west side of the street (left side) is the Frank B. Zepp & Company dry goods store, Robert L. Runkles Hardware Store, Walter Nikirk’s Mount Airy Meat & Grocery Co., the First National Bank of Mount Airy and several other businesses.
Main Street Mid looking South abt 1925
Main St North of RR Tracks Looking North circa 1930
Main Street North of RR Tracks looking South
Main St Looking South 1930-40
Main Street circa 1943
Main Street Stores at Christmas circa 1950
Main Street Mount Airy in Snow 1967
South Main Street west side - 1994
North Main Street at Prospect Road ca1967 - web.jpg
This is a view of North Main Street at the intersection of Main Street and Prospect Road. The Grimes Bros. Garage (now the Plumbery) was located here.
South Main Street at Center Street
This photograph shows the east side of South Main Street at Center Street. The Western Aotu Store is located on the south (right) corner and Peoples Lumber & Supplu is located on the north (left) corner.